Earls Colne

Earls Colne derives its name from the river Colne, and its ancient occupation by the De Veres, Great Chamberlain of England, Earls of Oxford, and Dukes of Dublin, who had a seat here, called Hall Place, with a park of about 700 acres detached, and which stood on one side of the church.
, a town as ancient as the time of King Edward the Confessor, situate near the banks of the Colne. In the Hinckford hundred and in the Halstead union.. On the road from Halstead to Colchester, 5 miles north-east of Marks Tay station, 48 miles from London, 3 miles east-south-east of Halstead, 10 miles noorth-west of Colchester, 7 1/2 milles noorth of Coggeshall, and 7 miles north of Kelvedon station.. The parish contains 2,959 acres. Population in 1861 was 1,540"[Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1862]

Archives and libraries

Census

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

Hundreds

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL8575628995 (Lat/Lon: 51.928478,0.700279), Earls Colne which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor law etc.

Probate Records

Societies


The Essex GENUKI pages are maintained by Kevin Cole.