Pattiswick

Pattiswick"Pattiswick, is a market town and parish in the hundred of Lexden. about 47 miles north east of London by the road through Braintree, and 44 miles through Witham. it is 18 from Chelmsford. It stands partly upon the low ground on the north side of the river Blackwater, and partly upon the side of an agreeable hill, which rises on the same side. It is indebted for it's existence, according to morant, to an abbey formed there. other antiquaries ascribe its origin to the romans and contend that this place is the canonium of antonius. Several coins and other roman antiquities have been found in the neighbourhood, sufficient to prove that it had been a roman villa. The manor was, in the reign of Edward the Confessor, the property of Cole, a saxon - and it subsequently passed to King Stephen who, with Queen Maud, founded an Abbey here for cistercian monks in the year 1140. The town was formerly noted for it's woollen and cloth trade and particularly for a superior kind of baize - distinguished by the name ' Pattiswick White '.
The parish of great Pattiswick contains, by the census of 1831, 3277 inhabitants, having increased it's population 758 since the year 1801."
[ abridged from pigot + co 1832 ]

Archives and libraries

Census

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Historical Geography

Hundreds

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL8236323898 (Lat/Lon: 51.883813,0.648292), Pattiswick which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor law etc.

Probate Records

Societies


The Essex GENUKI pages are maintained by Kevin Cole.